A poem and a prayer (answered)

Lizzy loves to write poetry. She is quite good if I must say so. Mothers are always right at this sort of thing.  I know Zac has posted a poem or two of her’s before. He was so proud of her. They are a lot alike. Both very logical yet creative in writing.  There are so many moments of the day where she will say something that is so much like Zac. I love it. It’s like he is here with me. Helping me find my glasses and questioning my stance on things. He was always one to keep me on my toes. And likewise she doesn’t disappoint in that area.

Poem by Lizzy (untitled)

Blue

Waves across oceans

Sadness can be a color

I see it always

Stars

To make a wish upon.

Glowing orbs across the sky

Hope it will come true

Birds

Soaring in the sky

A tune coming from it’s beak

The song is calming

for now.

I love it. I love her. Thanks for indulging me and reading this. The past week has been better. We are getting a routine down. We are feeling unified and with God’s grace and love, we can do this. Again, I want to thank everyone for the love and support you have shown my family. It means so much to us. On Wednesday I celebrated my 33rd birthday. I am looking forward to being used by God. I feel primed and I am ready. Jesus did amazing things in his short time on this earth. Zac did amazing things here with his time as well. I hope I can do the same. On my day of birth, the outpouring of love was amazing. The best present I could have ever asked for. How many different ways can I say “thank you’?  The way all of you have been to us, looks like I will have to come up with some new ones.

I must mention that I have the incredible opportunity to share Zac’s story (and a bit of my own) at a wonderful church called The Rock. My good friends Tim and Cristy Olof  pastor this church. They have asked me to come and speak. I agreed. Only with the Holy Spirit will I be able to do this. Yikes. I had just prayed the day before they asked, that God would use me as a vessel for His glory. Didn’t He know I am not a great public speaker? Looks like I have to rely on Him. Funny how it always comes back to that.Wouldn’t you know it,  I wouldn’t have it any other way. (that is a post for another day, it feels so good to give up control)

I just thought I would share God’s love and goodness that He is heaping on us all right now. Thanks to everyone for being a vehicle for that blessing!

About The Author

zac

Comments

28 Responses to “A poem and a prayer (answered)”

1. Mandy, Thanks for posting Lizzy’s poem. I would say it is very good, but I am no expert. All I know, is that it touched my heart and even though they were simple words, they contained alot of emotion. I think of you and the kids often and pray for you. Love, Jeanie

2. Bill says:

I’m not normally an outstanding fan of poetry, but Lizzy has a brilliance which cannot be denied. All your kids do, so I suppose that I shouldn’t be surprised by this creation, eh? Bravo!

Mandy, I have zero doubt that you will be an exceptional speaker, and that the persons in attendance that day will be forever enriched by your words. Have no fear in that regard, and say what you need to say, as you need to say it.

I am in awe of you, your strength, and your resilience.

3. Rose says:

Oh my, Lizzy is quite talented!
    Her poems stirred my heart… and her words are so visual.
    Thank you for sharing!

I’m so glad that your birthday brought you happiness and blessings.
    Congratulations on your speaking engagement… God has surely chosen a vessel of strength and grace to deliver His message.

Mandy, thank you for your writings and sharing your story… it brings this reader joy and strength.
    Blessings to you and yours,
    Rose

“Should you shield the canyons from the windstorms, you would never see the beauty of their carvings.”
    ~ Dr. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

4. Sharon says:

Happy Belated Birthday, Mandy! Thank you for sharing Lizzy’s poetry. Thanks too for sharing the ways in which Lizzy is like Zac.

I’ll be praying for you as you have the opportunity to share about Zac’s journey with God and about your journey with God. God has a way of using us in areas that require that we recognize our weakness. He will give you the strength and words to share.

Sharon

5. Judy Rhodes says:

Loved the poem, she has such a talent for writing and so do you.
    You are a living, breathing example of living God’s promise that he gives a peace that passes all understanding. I am amazed as I watch you go through this very difficult time with such strength and positive outlook.
    Thank you for continuing this blog.

6. Laurie says:

Yay for answered prayers in many ways. Thanks for keeping us posted. As one who is normally not eager to speak publicly, I am praying specifically for your speaking opportunity, that you will know the Lord’s indescribable peace and that He will give you the ability to speak boldly and fearlessly. God is using you, Mandy, and He will continue to use you to give glory to His name and draw others to Himself.

7. "Cristal J" says:

Can’t wait to have you here. I am already anticipating what an appointment it is! Thank you for saying yes at what seemed at the time to be an overwhelming request of you. I love you. I can’t wait for our church to meet you!

8. Fernando y Verónica Páez says:

Mandy, Thanks for sharing Lizzy’s poem, it is nice!
    I’ll be praying for you speaking opportunity.
    I think of you and the kids.

Verónica

9. Deborah says:

I’m so thankful for your continuing posts sharing your journey.
    Great poem!

Deborah

10. Judith Gandy says:

Thank you for sharing Lizzy’s poems. God is using you all for his Glory. There are those out there who need your help and only God knows who they are. He will lead the message to touch and comfort hearts.

11. maryannhopkins says:

I cried when I read your words. They ECHO JESUS. NEVER GET TIRED OF HIS NAME.
    WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO BE HERE?

12. I LOVE YOU LOTS> WAIT UNTIL LIZZY MEETS MAX!

13. Kelly says:

Thinking of your family tonight and praying God’s comfort on you.

14. Alison says:

Heard about your precious family from Kelly at Kelly’s Korner. Praying for all of you in the loss of your sweet husband. Thanks for sharing your heart and your story…praying for you and your upcoming speaking opportunity!

15. Cindy says:

Came over from Kelly’s Korner. Just wanted to let you know I’m praying for comfort and strength for you and your family.

16. Praying for you and your amazing family. Zac’s story shook me greatly in an positive way and know that his impact will be with us here on earth for year’s to come.

Blessings and strength in Him.

17. Melissa says:

I too heard about your family from Kelly’s Korner. I am praying for you and your children. I pray the Lord wraps his arms around you and holds you tight!

18. Amber Dowdy says:

Wow! I am so amazed by you and your family! What a blessing you are to your children to be so strong and so open with them. I am praying for your continued comfort and peace.

19. Kim says:

Just wanted to say that you are giving God all of the glory and honoring your husband through your testimony here. I am praying for you and your family as you learn to live in this new phase of your life. May God continue to bless you all.

20. Kellye says:

Hi!! I am coming over from Kelly’s Korner where I first heard about your husband and his remarkable story!!! I have been so impacted just from reading some of his posts this morning. I can only imagine how many people he reached in his life here on earth!! I will continue to pray for you and your children as you put the pieces together and begin this journey! Thank you for continuing to post on his blog and sharing your heart with us!!!!

21. laura says:

Praying for your family during this time, I have followed your story since March and it has inspired me as to how to deal with difficult times of losing a family member.

22. Zsera says:

Praying for your family and giving my hubby lots of hugs and love today. Life is just too short.

• zac says:

Indeed it is. Thank you for your prayers. I hope that all spouses hug each other tightly and often! That is some good stuff!

23. kelly says:

Mandy,
    I found your husband’s blog thru reading Kelly’s Korner. I just wanted to write you a note of encouragement. I lost my husband in Jan. 2005 after an illness. I had three children to raise ( a 6 yr old and 2 yr old twins). I knew God was in control and I had a peace, but there were still difficult days (and nights especially). I attended a grief share class at my church for the first year, which helped so much. I was remarried last June to another great Godly man. I am so thankful that what the devil meant for evil in my life, God turned into something good. You will be in my prayers from this day forward. If you ever need someone to listen who has been there too, I am available. I believe God doesn’t waste any experience we go thru in life. He wants us to help others who walk that same road.

• zac says:

Thank you so much Kelly. I too believe God uses all of our experiences. I tell my kids this often. So much truth. Thank you for sharing your story with me. So thankful.

24. Mandy, I have been following you. since ZAC first got sick. My heart has gone out to you and your family. Zac was so brave as where you all.I pray for you to have the same strength you have now, always. You will always be in my prayers.God Bless you all .TRACY RHODES mom.

25. Alex says:

Your daughter is so talented!

You and your family continue to be in my prayers